Catholic Church of St Christopher, Ardrossan
Phone: 0430 122001
Parish Priest is Father Christopher Matala
Phone: Maitland (08) 8832 2432, Yorketown (08) 8852 1071, Mobile: 0430 122 001
Chair of the YPPC:Valma Clift (08)8838 2209
Mass Times for
Ardrossan, Maitland & Arthurton
1st Sunday 11.00 am Ardrossan
2nd Sunday 11.00 am Maitland
3rd Sunday 11.00 am Ardrossan
4th Sunday 11.00 am Maitland
5th Sunday 11.00 am Arthurton
A Little History of St. Christopher's Church
Ardrossan was part of the Kadina Catholic Parish (1873-1875) which included the whole of Yorke Peninsula. In 1876,
there was a change made and Yorketown became the headquarters.
Mass was only occasionally celebrated in Ardrossan, and was held either at the hotel or in a private home.
The Parish was re-organised again in 1906 when Maitland Parish was formed with the Parish Priest residing in Maitland. After this, Mass was held more frequently and was celebrated in the Insitute.
Mr. Harry McKenney donated a block of land for the erection of a Catholic Church.
The Foundation Stone was laid on 27th July, 1962, by Auxiliary Bishop of the Adelaide Diocese, James Gleeson, and was witnessed and generously supported financially and socially by all denominations of the town and district. The Parish Priest at the time was Father W.E. Reardon.
St Christopher's was designed by an Adelaide Architect, Mr Brian Taylor. Mr. Gus Spurling held the building contract and appointed Messrs. R.J.Wescombe, Klaebe and Gordon to co-operate with him.
The Church was blessed and opened by Bishop J.W. Gleeson on the 10th March, 1963, debt free.
In 2003, The Southern Yorke Peninsula Parish and the Central Yorke Peninsula Parish were merged to form the Yorke Peninsula Parish with 8 churches. Fr James Valladares was the Parish Priest at that time.